Salford RLFC Supporters' Trust

The voice of Salford Red Devils fans

Uncategorized 0 Comments

Salford pass Giant’s test

With both sides at the wrong end of the Super League table a victory really did seem vital today for Salford.

Just three minutes in Robert Lui kicked a fantastic 40/20 to get the Red Devils on the front foot. The wet conditions were hampering both sides in the early stages with mistakes a plenty.

Mark Flanagan grabbed Salford’s first points powering over from close range. Lui converted 0-6. On the very next set Salford received a penalty and made the field position count. Three forwards combined to come up with a lovely move. Lee Mossop’s short pass to Flanagan whos tap on pass found Ben Nakabuwia. Ben charged under the posts with Lui’s conversion doubling the lead to 0-12.

The Red Devils were now very much on top, Niall Evalds came close to scoring on his return from injury only to be denied by Giant’s wing man Aaron Murphy.

Huddersfield got back into the match against the run of play. Logan Tomkins giving away a needless penalty when in possession by pushing at the play the ball right in front of his own sticks. Danny Brough’s long pass finding young winger Innes Senior who kept calm to finish superbly in the corner. Brough’s conversation dragging the Giants very much in to the contest. 6-12.

Salford’s defence had to stand firm for the later stages of the first half with the hosts enjoying plenty of possession and territory.

Robert Lui continued to cause havoc for the Giants slicing through their defence on another thrilling break. Jordan Rankin saves a certain try darting out of the defensive line to intercept the ball.

Three minutes in to the second half Salford edged further ahead from Lui’s penalty goal. Huddersfield conceding a real soft penalty for an incorrect play the ball. 6-14.

Weller Hauraki charged over for a well worked try after neat work from Lui and Littlejohn. This try really gave Salford some breathing space after Lui tagged the conversion on 6-20.

For the next 15 minutes The Red Devils had plenty of defending to do with Giants half back pairing of Brough and Lee Gaskell throwing everything in to their attacks. Gaskell’s short pass to Oliver Roberts sent the strong forward crashing over to give the Giants hope 12-20.

With 8 minutes remaining Flanagan was taken out off the ball in a strong challenge. Lui wisely opting to take the two points on offer from the penalty. Danny Brough was then shown the red card by referee James Child for what appeared to be something that was said to the touch judge. Salford made the extra man count with Jake Bibby crossing for two tries in the final four minutes. Lui failing to convert both of them unfortunately hitting the post off the touch line with the final one.

A much needed victory for Ian Watson’s Salford side, the only real worry being a nasty looking injury to Josh Jones and Lee Mossop coming off after a head injury.

Speaking to Ian Watson after the game he was delighted with the result,

“Away from home you’ve got to stick in and be tough we were pretty resilient defensively which got us the rewards at the back end of the game”.

Robert Lui and Weller Hauraki really were stand out performers for Salford who now turn their attention to Wakefield Trinity at the AJ Bell Stadium on Friday night.

Final score Huddersfield 12 Salford 30.

Paul Whiteside.


End of Season Awards Evening – Tuesday 25th September 2018
Determined Devils Tough Out Tigers.

After a pretty nippy, damp and windy week the weather had cleared up for Salford’s return in this home fixture […]

Sam Luckley and Alex Gerrard Interviews

Paul Whiteside interviews Salford forwards Sam Luckley and Alex Gerrard after the defeat to Wigan Warriors.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.