Salford RLFC Supporters' Trust

The voice of Salford Red Devils fans

Paul Whiteside 0 Comments

Airlie Birds Fly Home With Two Points.

With both sides level on 8 points in the League table this match looked a tough match to call a result for. Salford on the back of three defeats and looking to get there mojo back. Hull’s start to the season has been nothing short of erratic. Three tremendous victories over Wigan, Huddersfield and Leeds showed the Airlie Birds are a threat for any side on there day. However there inconsistency has scuppered there early progress. An opening day derby defeat in the last seconds away at Hull Kingston Rovers was a bitter pill for Lee Radford and his team to swallow. Add to that home defeats to Wakefield and Castleford plus last weeks thumping at home to Warrington leaving a slight feeling of despondency on Humberside.

The hangover of last season’s losing run is still fresh in the minds of the Hull supporters. In Lee Radford though they have a passionate, bright young coach who has certainly proved himself at the top level.

Turning the focus on to Salford, The Red Devil’s were exceptional against Catalans last month. Three defeats have followed since there return. Despite that fact though Ian Watson’s side have competed well and with a little more belief, experience and perhaps fine tuning to cut out the silly errors could have won all three.

Back in front of there vocal home supporters this afternoon provided the perfect opportunity to get back to winning ways.

Hull got out of the blocks early Josh Griffin touching down after just 5 minutes.

The visitors bossed the first 15 minutes of the match Mark Sneyd leading his forward pack well and hooker Danny Houghton was a handful running from dummy half. Sneyd added a penalty goal to edge his side in to a 0-8 lead.

Robert Lui’s neat kick through for Josh Jones got Salford on the scoreboard. Jones touching down and Ed Chamberlain converting.

Salford had a good share of territory and possession in the first half and were unlucky to have a try ruled out by referee Gareth Hewer. Niall Evalds raced over but Hewer ruled it out for a push in the build up.

Sneyd notched a penalty goal to send Hull in 6-10 at half time.

Lee Radford’s men began to grow in confidence and when Griffin bagged his second try 7 minutes in to the second half Salford’s hill became a little steeper.

Four minutes later Josh Griffin completed his hat trick against his former club. His battle with his brother George was certainly an intriguing one all afternoon.

Sneyd kicked another penalty goal with 15 minutes remaining to put Hull in to a 12 point lead.

Jackson Hastings pulled a try back for Salford to leave the Red Devil’s just 6 points behind going in to the last 10 minutes of the match.

This was to be Hull’s day though with Sneyd dropping a goal to restore a two score advantage at 16-23.

Ironically two ex Salford players did the damage scoring all Hull’s points.

A disappointing afternoon for Salford, coach Ian Watson didn’t hide his emotions after the match stating that “changes would be made”.

Salford 16 Hull 23.

Paul Whiteside.


Paul Whiteside
Paul King update and contract extensions

Devil In The Detail SRD · Latest Paul King update and Mossop and Yates new deals Check out this weeks […]

Paul Whiteside
Wigan v Salford-Match Preview.

After their promotion back to top flight rugby league in the early 1980s Wigan went on to create a real […]

Paul Whiteside
Hull Kr v Salford-Match Preview.

Turn the clock back to 1980! Two Tone topped the music charts and Hull Kingston Rovers were one of the […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: