Salford RLFC Supporters' Trust

The voice of Salford Red Devils fans

Paul Whiteside 0 Comments

Slow Start Costs Salford In Perpignan.

After three successive defeats a trip to the South of France was Salford’s next mission of 2020. The Dragons were starting to find their feet after an excellent away at Hull Last weekend. Despite playing two games less than Salford, Catalans had scored twenty points more than the Red Devils coming in to this fixture.

Salford welcomed back half back Kevin Brown from a two match suspension. Brown’s leadership and organisational skills had certainly been missed over the past fortnight.

After the miserable weather in North West England recently, fine and dry conditions awaited both sides at the kick off. A blustery wind swirled around the Gilbert Brutus Stadium.

Elliot Kear came in to the Red Devils starting line up for the injured Dan Sarginson. Kear joined fellow Welshman Rhys Williams on the left wing.

Tyrone McCarthy returned on the substitute bench.

The Dragons started the game on the front foot. With three successive sets of six on the Salford line the visitors resistance was broken when Michael Mcllorum darted over time score from dummy half.

Salford struggling for field position went further behind in the seventeenth minute, James Maloney kicked a penalty 8-0.

Man of the moment Maloney then created a two nice tries for Matt Whitley from a lovely kick through in to space and a high kick close to the try line. 18-0.

Salford needed a boost in the second half after failing to create anything of substance in the first half.

Niall Evalds coasted through the gap to score a fine try. Sam Tomkins was guilty of a very cynical trip on Evalds as he scored and was sent to the sin bin.

Salford’s star fullback then created a try for a Ken Sio. Sio had to finish it though and he did in some style diving over acrobatically. 18-10.

Maloney nervously nailed a penalty goal to extend the Dragons lead. By this time the French side knew they were in a game as Salford began to fight fire with fire.

A booming Joey Lussick forty twenty attempt was desperately stopped by Tomkins but he spilled the ball. Sio was on hand to scoop up the gift to touch down. Tui Lolohea failed to convert to leave the Red Devils six points adrift going into the final ten minutes.

Catalans finished the stronger as speedster Lewis Tierney broke through. The Salford cover defence was excellent but they were now stretched and Fouad Yaha scored moments later.

Elliot Kear and Rhys Williams had worked tremendously hard all night in attack and defence. They had limited Israel Falou’s threat but the Australian had the final say with a fantastic offload to put Tierney over to round off the scoring.

Salford coach Ian Watson remained upbeat after the match and pleased with the effort and endeavour of his team.

Catalans 30 Salford 14.


Paul Whiteside
Farrell At The Double To Sink Salford!

After another tropical week on the weather front Salford were back at home to face Wigan. Despite a few clouds […]

Paul Whiteside
Salford Hang On Against Spirited Trinity.

As the curtains started to draw on Salford’s 2020 season the clubs final assignment of a very long and testing […]

Paul Whiteside
St.Helens v Salford-Match Preview!

St.Helens v Salford. If you were a time traveler from the year 1980 who’d just arrived in 2022 you would […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: