Salford RLFC Supporters' Trust

The voice of Salford Red Devils fans

Paul Whiteside 0 Comments

Tigers Edge Salford In Points Thriller.

After last weeks defeat Salford coach Ian Watson was forced to make changes after injuries struck. Krisnan Inu and James Greenwood came into the starting thirteen with Andy Ackers poised to make his debut off the bench.

Kevin Brown got the Red Devils off to a flying start with an interception try off former Salford player George Griffin. Inu converted 6-0.

Moments later some more classy play from Brown put Niall Evalds over for a try. In the week that the Tigers announced Evalds as their player for 2021 the star full back showed his class and professionalism to his current club. Inu again converted 12-0.

Eleven minutes on the clock and Salford continue their complete dominance with Joey Lussick creeping over from close range.

Castleford struggled to gain a foothold in the match early on after being hit by a Salford world wind. Attitude in defence from the Red Devils was in complete contrast to last weeks debacle.

Despite a terrific effort in defence from Evalds he couldn’t prevent Danny Richardson scoring an excellent individual try. The former Saints half back added the conversion to drag the Tigers back in to the match at 18-6.

A slick Castleford move produced another try with the busy Paul McShane sending veteran centre Michael Shenton over on his 322 Tigers appearance.

Moments later McShane with four defenders in close attention crashes over. The video referee is called upon and the try is given. Richardson’s conversion levelled the scores at 18-18.

On the very next set Castleford score again. This time Gareth O’Brien breaks, with Paul McShane in support who races in. From 18-0 down the Tigers went in front 18-24 after just half an hour.

Andy Ackers came off the bench just before the break to make his debut and made an immediate impact. Some quick play and a cracking Tui Lolohea pass puts a try on a plate for pack grafter Luke Yates. Inu with his fourth conversion levels the scores at half time 24-24.

After a try fest in the first half it took Castleford just six minutes to score the first try of the second half. Liam Watts with a superb off load to set up another attack. Second rower Mike McMeeken touching down to edge the Tigers back into the lead.

Krisnan Inu saved a certain try as he pinched the ball from the grasp of Shenton. Moments later Salford were level. Rhys Williams swatted off two defenders to score in the corner. Inu belted over the conversion from the touch line to level again at 30-30.

With fifteen minutes remaining Richardson dropped a goal to nudge Castleford 30-31 in front. Both sides continued trading sets desperate not to make a mistake. Defences became a lot tighter but the pace of the game remained relentless.

Back to back sets after Lolohea was penalised for a ball steal piled pressure on Salford. Richardson kicked through and as Tyrone McCarthy shot out of the defensive line, Grant Millington found space a plenty to pick up and stroll in. Richardson’s conversion gave Castleford a seven point cushion going into the closing stages and that was enough to take the victory.

Salford 30 Castleford 37

Paul Whiteside.


Paul Whiteside
Salford v Hull Kingston Rovers-Match Preview.

The stakes couldn’t be much higher in the final round of fixtures for the regular season. Bottom side London Broncos […]

Paul Whiteside
Another Special Away Day For Super Salford.

With just four matches remaining the race for the top five is more exciting than ever. St. Helens are clear […]

Paul Whiteside
Robins on song as Salford slump

Another scorching day was in store for the two sides at kick off. Salford made a solid start pegging Rovers […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: